Household Hazardous Materials
What are Household Hazardous Materials?
Household Hazardous Materials (HHM) are products considered hazardous. Household materials are categorized as hazardous if they are corrosive, toxic, flammable and/or reactive. If not managed properly, they can seriously harm the environment and human health.
HHMs can be found almost anywhere in your home. including the kitchen, bathroom, garage and workshop. The following are some common examples:
|Adhesive||Art Supply Chemicals||Rechargeable Batteries Or Lead Batteries|
|Bug Spray||Cleanser||Copier Toner|
|Glue||Furniture Polish||Floor Care Products|
|Kerosene||Lighter Fluid||Fluorescent Bulbs|
|Moth Balls||Metal Polish||Mildew Remover|
|Oven Cleaner||Oil||Oil Based Paint|
|Solvents||Stain Products||Stain Remover|
|Stripper||Thinner||Toilet Bowl Cleaner|
|Varnish||Weed Killer||Wood Preservative|
HHM Disposal Checklist
- Make a list of the type and amount of each HHM
- Keep materials in their packaging, do not mix materials
- Label containers that are unmarked
- Pack glass containers to prevent breakage
- Transport in truck or back of truck
- Take to Muscatine County Recycling & Transfer Station for disposal, free of charge
- Latex Paint is not accepted (see below)
LATEX PAINT DISPOSAL
Dry latex, water-based, or acrylic paint can go in the trash. Follow these steps to get rid of it safely:
- If there is less than an inch of paint in the can, remove the lid and air dry. (Paint must be dry when it is placed in the garbage)
- If there is more than an inch of paint in the can, mix the paint with cat litter and let it solidify. You can also use a paint hardener according to directions.
- Remove the lid, but do not take the paint out of the can. Throw the can of dried paint in the garbage.
- NOTE: Oil based paint is a hazardous material and can NOT be disposed of at the Louisa County Transfer Station.
HHM Disposal Contacts
|Morning Sun Residents||All Other Louisa County Residents|
|Des Moines County Regional Waste Commission|
|Louisa Regional Solid Waste Agency|
319-523-5013 or 319-523-5271