Motor Vehicle Department

Office Processing Hours 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

No “Dealer Only” titles after 3:30 p.m.

No motor vehicle title’s or renewals issued after 4:00 p.m.

You may leave your paperwork and it will be mailed to you.

Call ahead for holiday closings or check schedule on this county’s site.

The County Treasurer’s office issues vehicle titles, registration renewals, personalized and other special license plates, and junking certificates; notates and releases security interests; collects use tax, registration, and document fees; process credits and refunds of vehicles transferred; and serves as an agent of the Iowa Department of Transportation and Department of Revenue and Finance.

Renew license plates: Motor vehicles can be renewed any time the month before, the month of or the month after your registration/birth month. Renewals may be done by mail, in the office or on the web at
You are not eligible to renew online unless you received a renewal notice through the US Postal Service that contains a PIN number for online renewals. You need to bring in all your license plate numbers or the renewal notice that is mailed to you.

Selling a vehicle: If you sell a vehicle to someone you should remove your license plates and keep the registration. If you replace the vehicle within 6 months, the plates and unused registration fees may transfer. If you do not replace the vehicle, the plates and registration should be returned to the Treasurer for cancellation and possibly apply for a refund. You will need to know the date you sold it, to whom you sold it and their address, in order to apply for a refund.

When selling, you need to give the Buyer:
A. Title, with top back section completed, including name of buyer, date of sale & signature of seller(s).
B. Complete odometer statement on any vehicle newer than 20 years old and a Damage Disclosure Statement on vehicles that are 7 years old or newer. A bill of sale is now required on all transfers. It needs to have the date of sale, price, year , make and vin of car and signature of seller and buyer on it.

To put a vehicle in storage: Turn in your license plates and current registration before your registration expires.

For more complete information and forms on motor vehicles visit the Iowa Department of Transportation: web site

Or Visit the Iowa State County Treasurer’s Association web site: