Marriage License


Both parties must be 18 years of age and have a current government issued photo ID.
One witness with a current government issued photo ID.
Marriage licenses fee of $35.00 (includes 1 certified copy).
License is valid and may be picked up after a full 3-day waiting period.

Attention Brides-to-be

If you will be using your husband’s name, you should contact the local Social Security office to have your name changed on your Social Security records and to receive an new card. This is a FREE service. You will need to furnish evidence which shows both your old and new names. This evidence can be your marriage certificate and driver’s license, for example. Only original or certified documents are acceptable, however. Photocopies, even if notarized, are not acceptable. Your documents will be returned to you. Fill out the “Application for Social Security Card” and mail or bring it with your documents to: SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE; 3012 Division Street; Burlington, IA 52601. For questions call: Burlington office at 319-752-6321 or National office 1-800-772-1213.

For more information: Click here
To download Application for Social Security Card: Click here

Applications are available in the Recorder’s office for Iowa Department of Public Health commemorative birth and marriage certificates as memorable keepsakes of these special occasions.